Friday, December 26, 2008

Annual Bible Distribution at Princess Marina Hospital

It is a tradition here in Gaborone,Botswana that Flying Mission personnel will spend the morning of Boxing Day at the local public hospital distributing bibles to the patients who have had to spend their Christmas there. This year I was privileged to be part of this tradition.
I have to admit that the thought itself scared me...approaching total strangers and offering them a bible...what would say, how would it go? But like most things, the thought of doing something is much more terrifying than actually doing it. I was privileged to spend time with two men that received bibles. The first, Godwin was a middle aged man who had many complications from diabetes. He was very open to having a visit, and I was able to pray with him. A real peace settled upon us, and we were both grateful for our time together. The second man has a difficult multi syllable name which I can not remember, but I do know that he is about my age and had been in the hospital for about two months now. I knelt by his bed for about a half an hour, and almost the entire time, I held his hand. I prayed mostly silently for this man, and he wept from time to time.
I don't know what impact this day has had on my life, but I have been keenly aware that Christmas can be a lonely time for many, but that each of us can make a difference to someone.

1 comment:

Princess Warrior said...

Just wanted to say I am thinking of you guys.