Friday, May 7, 2010

A Wheelchair for Miesorela!

Meisorela sitting in front of his house with his new (borrowed) wheelchair.

Rejoicing in the yard when we got home. (My house is the white one you see in the background)

The neighbours washing my truck to say thank you.

This week was another busy one, but I managed to make some phone calls and did some running around, asked some friends from church, sent some emails, checked some directories, spoke to some other missionaries, looked in some catalogues from medical suppliers, with one goal in mind, to get Mieso a wheelchair. It paid off when finally I was put in touch with the Lutheran Thuso Rehabilitation Center. Occupational therapists assist people with disabilities at this non-profit mission organization and was told that if I brought Meisorela in, they could assess him and determine what he would need.

It was quite a ways away and off the beaten path, so after sloshing through some deep mud puddles, getting lost, getting better directions, we finally arrived. When I got there, some women told me I couldn't be helped because I didn't have an appointment, but I boldly repeated what I had been told on the phone 2 days earlier and insisted that I would not leave without a wheelchair. I was determined! (I saw a few wheelchairs lined up against the wall in a corridor and had used one of them to bring Meisorela inside)

A technician kindly told me that they had nothing and no funds at the moment because they relied on donations only. He showed that me some of the materials he could use to make him a custom made crawling device, but was out of the plastic and the liner. I insisted that a wheelchair with sturdy wheels would be best. His leg needs to be out of the dirt. (I had even considered welding him one myself, or getting Kieth to.)

Eventually, a caring and kind gentlemen came to tell me that Meisorela could borrow one of Thuso Centre's wheelchairs for a month.
Hallelujah! He also gave me a number for a medical supplier in Gaborone as well.

Things were looking up.

Next, I attempted to get the wheelchair into the trunk of the Corolla and it wouldn't fit. Then, I tried the front seat. It would be a tight squeeze and I had a wheel at my throat but I was determined. After all that, I couldn't, get the car to start.

I called Keith who was working at the office, and he came. While we waited for him, I sat down, exhausted, with a book that was in my purse "Oxygen--Deep Breathing for the Soul" and started to read it to Petunia (his 10 yr old niece who's been coming with me to the hospitals and clinics to help lift Miesorela in and out of the truck, and to translate). The scripture that it happened to flip open to was from Luke, and we read the story of the friends who went to all that trouble to get their paralyzed friend lowered through the roof to see Jesus. The Lord spoke to my heart...and I received a promise to see Jesus work a miracle as a result of my obedience and effort. (I think Petunia heard from God in that moment too. Of all the 206 pages in the book, this was the story we randomly opened to.

Keith arrived and we switched vehicles and he managed to get the corolla running again. (He knows it's quirks)

When we drove into Miesorela's yard and started unloading the wheelchair there were smiles, squeals of delight, and much celebration. No one in the family expected it was possible, and it was beyond their means to even dream of such a thing!

Rejoicing in the yard when we got home. (My house is the white one you see in the background)span style="font-weight:bold;">All things are possible for those who believe! When they thanked me I said "Thank Jesus. He made this happen." Then I attempted a traditional Batswana happy dance with MmaBepi and the girls. Today was truly a day to celebrate!

MmaBepi noticed my muddy truck, and with tears in her eyes, she offered to wash it for me. She was so grateful. Several others from our neighbourhood, of all ages worked together on it. I could hear singing, and rejoicing, and laughter, as they worked.
The neighbours washing my truck to say thank you.

And I looked over and saw Meisorela grinning from ear to ear.
Meisorela sitting in front of his house with his new (borrowed) wheelchair and happily chatting to his nieces.

"Pure religion before God the Father is this, to care for widows and orphans in their distress. James 1:27a" I thought of all of our support network and was filled with awe, we couldn't be here without you!

UPDATE!!! It's been 2 weeks since he has had his chair and the wound on his leg has healed up!

2 comments:

With Christ's love, Deanna said...

Praise God! Your love and ministy to this family made me cry and praise Him for providing your hearts to give.
Bless you as you continue to show Jesus to them. May God be glorified in all that is in front of you.
God's strength and love to you.
Deanna

blank said...

Thank you for sharing Cheryl. How much does a wheelchair cost?