Monday, September 8, 2008

My First King Air Flight



This morning I went up for a test flight with one of the Captains who was checking out the airplane after some maintenance. As the non-flying pilot, I learned about the aircraft and called out the checklist for the Captain at his request. After a successful test flight, we radioed in to request permission to return to the airport. To our surprise, we were told we would have to wait. The President's plane would be arriving, and as such, the airport is closed for about 10 minutes on either side.
Since we had some time to kill, the Captain took the opportunity to turn the controls over to me so that I could get the feel of the aircraft. Flying today made me glad that I had just renewed my instrument rating back in Saskatoon. The haze over Gaborone was so thick that most of our flying was strictly on instruments. You could not see the ground for most of the flight. It was good practice on instrument flying, without all of the stress of being responsible for the entire aircraft. Then, once we got clearance, the Captain allowed me to fly the aircraft in. He even had me land the airplane, which was quite stressful, but went well.
I was supposed to do some actual training this afternoon, but then a medical flight came up, and the guys are gone for the rest of the day with the aircraft.
Speaking of training, Cheryl drove from "home" clear across the city yesterday. It is quite a bit different driving a standard (in the right hand seat),on the left side of the road, with the signals and wipers on the opposite sides that you are used to. Besides that, many of the roads are unfamiliar to us, so navigating with a map is mandatory. She did quite well, but will hopefully get some more practice before having to venture out alone.
We are waiting to hear about a house that we would like to rent - which may happen today. The cost and availability of housing is much like in Saskatoon - it is a hot rental market in Gaborone as well. We are currently living in a suberb, much like Martensville is to Saskatoon, and we are hoping to be able to stay out there as several of the Flying Mission families are living there as well.

1 comment:

Princess Warrior said...

Hey Ks,

So glad to here that you made it safely across the ocean and are all adjusting well. Keeping you in my heart:)
Sherry Palmer